All rights reserved.// Define pin connections & motor's steps per revolution// Change direction once the motor reaches target position This driver can be used with the same code as the A4988 and has a current rating of 3.5 A.The A4988 driver chip has several safety functions built-in like overcurrent, short circuit, under-voltage lockout, and over-temperature protection. You can also buy Now that you have wired up the driver and set the current limit, it is time to connect the Arduino to the computer and upload some code. The speed of the stepper motor is determined by the frequency of the pulses we send to the STEP pin.

This gets me started right away! For this we use the function In the loop section of the code, I used a different way to let the motor rotate a predefined number of steps. If you are planning on building your own 3D printer or a CNC machine, you will need to control a bunch of stepper motors. Just make sure that you select the right bootloader when uploading the code.Perfect introduction, with very precise instructions. But when you want to control multiple steppers, you’ll need a library.So, for our next experiment we will make use of an advanced stepper motor library called This library is not included in the Arduino IDE, so you will need to install it first.To install the library navigate to the Sketch > Include Library > Manage Libraries… Wait for Library Manager to download libraries index and update list of installed libraries.Filter your search by typing ‘accelstepper’.

Arduino library for A4988, DRV8825, DRV8834, DRV8880 and generic two-pin (DIR/STEP) stepper motor drivers Topics arduino stepper-driver stepper-motor-control a4988 … If you are not using the pin, you can connect it to the adjacent SLP/SLEEP pin to bring it high and enable the driver.The A4988 motor driver’s output channels are broken out to the edge of the module with You can connect any bipolar stepper motor having voltages between 8V to 35 V to these pins.Each output pin on the module can deliver up to 2A to the motor. This instructable covers the third method, running one or more steppers via an A4988 IC on a StepStick board. Cinq modes sélectionnables: éta… That is correct, you simply multiply the number of microsteps with the full step resolution (400 steps/rev in this case).Brilliant, I have learnt a lot with this tutorial, thanks man!Awesome tutorials!

In the following example, the motor will run back and forth with a speed of 200 steps per second and an acceleration of 30 steps per second per second.In the setup(), besides the maximum speed, we need to define the acceleration/deceleration. Actually A4988 is conveniently laid out to match the 4-pin connector on several bipolar motors so, that shouldn’t be a problem.Connecting or disconnecting a stepper motor while the driver is powered can destroy the driver.Next, Connect RST pin to the adjacent SLP/SLEEP pin to keep the driver enabled. This is achieved by energizing the coils with intermediate current levels.For example, if you choose to drive NEMA 17 having 1.8° or 200 steps per revolution in quarter-step mode, the motor will give 800 microsteps per revolution.The A4988 driver has three step size(resolution) selector inputs viz. Court-sol protection 10. We then set an acceleration factor for the motor to add acceleration and deceleration to the movements of the stepper motor.Next we set the regular speed of 200 and the number of steps we’re going to move it to i.e.
I’ve learned a lot. In some cases, these spikes can exceed the 35V(maximum voltage rating of A4988), potentially permanently damaging the board and even the motor.One way to protect the driver from such spikes is to put a large 100µF (at least 47µF) electrolytic capacitor across motor power supply pins.The A4988 driver allows microstepping by allowing intermediate step locations.

The driver has built-in translator for easy operation. The A4988 stepper motor driver has output drive capacity of up to 35 V and ±2A and lets you control one bipolar stepper motor at up to 2A output current per coil like NEMA 17. If you have any questions, suggestions, or if you think that things are missing in this tutorial, Note that comments are held for moderation to prevent spam.I am planning to use the program to position the traverser on which trains are stored on my model railway before entering the sceniced part of the railway.

This article includes everything you need to know about controlling a stepper motor with the Although you can use this driver without an Arduino library, I highly recommend you also take a look at the example code for the After each example, I break down and explain how the code works, so you should have no problems modifying it to suit your needs.If you would like to learn more about other stepper motor drivers, then the articles below might be useful:Makerguides.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com.At the heart of the A4988 driver you will find a chip made by Allegro MicroSystems: the A4988 DMOS Microstepping Driver with Translator and Overcurrent Protection.